HEXHAM & DISTRICT PHOTOGRAPHIC SOCIETY
RULES GOVERNING THE SOCIETY
Established in 1946
Affiliated to the Northern Counties Photographic Federation (NCPF) and the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB).
- The Society shall he called the Hexham & District Photographic Society having as objectives the study & advancement of photography.
- a. The Officers of the Society shall be the President, Vice President, Immediate Past President, Secretary, Syllabus Secretary, Social Secretary, Competition Secretaries (Internal and External), Treasurer, Marketing Officer and a Committee of four ordinary members.
b. The governing body of the Society shall be the Council consisting of the President, Vice President, Immediate Past President, Secretary, Syllabus Secretary, Social Secretary, Competition Secretaries (Internal and External), Treasurer, Marketing Officer and a Committee of up to four ordinary members.
c. The President shall hold office for not more than three consecutive years unless otherwise decided by the Council. The Vice-President shall become President upon the retirement of the President.
d. Each year, the longest serving Committee member shall retire and a new member shall be elected by ballot at the Annual General Meeting of the Society. The retiring member shall not be eligible for re-election for a period of 12 months.
e. The Secretary, Syllabus Secretary, Social Secretary, Internal Competition Secretary, External Competition Secretary, Treasurer, Press Officer, and Vice- President shall be elected for one year and shall hold office until successors are appointed at the Annual General meeting.
They will be eligible for re-election.
f. The nominations for Vice-President, and all other Officers and Committee members (the consent of each nominee having been previously obtained) shall be delivered to the Secretary in writing, at least five days before the date of the Annual General Meeting. No names other than those properly nominated shall be submitted to the meeting for ballot or be eligible for election.
Before proceeding to the ballot, the presiding officer shall appoint scrutineers from the members of the Society who have not been nominated for any office.
- a. The President, newly elected Vice-President and all other Officers and Committee members shall assume their duties on the day following the Annual General Meeting.
b. The Committee shall have the power to fill any vacancy in membership of the Committee that may occur, until the next Annual General Meeting.
c. The Committee shall have the power, if the occasion arises, to co-opt additional members to the committee or to appoint sub-committees for specific purposes.
- The business of the Society shall be conducted by the Committee, five of whom shall form a quorum.
- Ordinary meetings shall be held during the year as the Committee may direct. Special General Meetings shall be convened by the Committee or upon the written request of ten ordinary members.
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of all AGM’s, Committee and general meetings. These minutes must be published and displayed on the Club Notice Board and Website.
- Anyone wishing to join the Society must provide name, address, telephone number and email to the Club Treasurer at the time of paying their membership. Based on current competition entry criteria they will be classified as an Open or Advanced worker and given a Membership Number.
- The Committee shall have power to propose Honorary Members, provided that the number of Honorary Members does not at any time exceed six. Honorary Members of the Society shall be appointed at the AGM, An Honorary Member so appointed shall be entitled to attend lectures without payment of subscriptions. There shall only be a maximum of six Honorary Members allowed in the Society at any one time. Honorary Members will have full voting rights.
- a. The rate of the Annual Subscriptions for the coming year shall be fixed at each Annual General Meeting.
b. A member joining the Society on or after the first day of January in any year shall be required to pay only half the current subscription.
c. Subscriptions become due on the first meeting of the session and must be paid promptly.
d. Entry into any of the Society’s competitions will not be allowed if the subscription has not been paid.
- Friends of members will be welcome at occasional meetings of the Society.
- The financial year of the Society shall end on the last day of February and the Annual General Meeting shall be held within two calendar months thereof.
- The Committee shall have power to terminate membership of any member at any time for non-payment of subscription or for misdemeanour, such termination to be notified in writing. A member expelled or asked to resign shall have the right of appeal to a special general meeting called for that purpose. Any proceedings under this rule shall be treated as private and confidential.
- The Committee shall have power to acquire and dispose of property and equipment on behalf of the Society.
- The AGM is to be held at the last meeting of the season. At the AGM ten members shall form a quorum.
- No changes to the constitution shall be made, nor any rule amended or rescinded except in the following manner:
Any proposal shall be notified to the Secretary at least seven days before the Annual General Meeting of the Society called for that purpose.
- The Committee is empowered to make rules governing the Society’s Competitions and Exhibitions.
- The Committee is empowered to make rules for the use of the Society’s premises and property.
- The Society may be dissolved by the consent of two-thirds of the members voting in favour of such a course of action at a General Meeting. In the event of Dissolution of the Society or discontinuance of the meetings, all property shall be sold. Once debts are settled the balance shall be given to an appointed charity / or to the NCPF.
- The Club Constitution was adopted by the Society in 1946 at the first Annual General Meeting, and has been adapted and developed at subsequent annual meetings.
Signed President :
Signed Treasurer :
Signed Secretary :
Revised April, 2016